Questions re 92 PF SE tire carrier

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions re the following, on a 92 PathFinder SE? A) I think the bushing(s) are 'gone' on the upper hinge, as it now "rattles" when you hit the tire carrier with your hand, right next to the hinge, and it rattles when driving over bumps. I'm inclined to buy the Nissan parts(bushings & pins) and have a machine shop grind off the peened-over ends of the exisiting, factory-installed, pins, press them out, and replace with the new parts, because the dealership wants too much money to do this. Question 1:

- do the ends of the new pins also need to be peened over, or welded, to hold the pins in place? Question 2:

- has anyone ever tried using a bolt/nut(e.g. grade 8 bolt turned to the exact diamater of the pin) instead of the pins?

B) I had thought about getting the spare tire bracket on the tire carier moved a bit to one side or the other(likely to the hinge side) to make room for a bracket to hold a gas can, but the fabricator I talked to advised against it, due to the extra weight it would add to the tire carrier. Any comments? If you carry an extra gas can, where/how do you carry it?

Thanks

Reply to
Dave Patton

Dave

If the your Pathfinder is the same as my Terrano I had similar noises from the rear door, it turned out to be some spot welds inside the door that had failed.

hope this helps

Kev

Reply to
Skip

"Skip" wrote in news:blve12$kb4$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

Thanks, but it I know it's the tire carrier. If I bang on the upper arm of the tire carrier, where it hinges in the bracket bolted to the body, I can hear the noise. It's typically caused by one of the bushings having failed.

Reply to
Dave Patton

I had the same thing happen on my 87 PF. The old pins didn't need to be ground off, they were just held in by friction, I think.

Reply to
Larry Kessler

Larry Kessler wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, on mine, the ends of the pins have been 'rounded over', and are a larger diameter than the shaft of the pins - the dealership referred to "grinding them".

On mine, they were done at the factory, and the upper pin is actually inserted from below, so maybe they are peened over to make sure they can't fall/vibrate out.

Reply to
Dave Patton

I used to have a '94, and also didn't appreciate the rattling from the rear. Here is what I did that cured much of the problem: I would loosen the bolts that go through the top bracket into the body. Using a small pry bar, I would add torque to the bracket in order to position is slightly down towards the rear, and then tighten the bolts. The result is that the new position of the bracket would force the tire carrier to have more pressure on that latch and "pad" near the bumper. I know this sounds complicated and I wish I could just show it to you. It eliminated at least 80% of the rattles for me. This also makes the tire carrier a little more difficult to swing out, but a fair trade for me.

Reply to
ppointer