Re: GM admits it flucked up big time

The opinions of who makes the best is in the minds of consumers. The only REAL test of who make the best vehicles rest in who sells what to whom. Apparently Toyota makes the best single brand car, the Camry because it is the number one seller. On the other GM makes the best cars since GM sells more of them than any other manufacturer. It is just that they do not have the same name on the grill. The same applies to trucks. Ford sells the most trucks with one name on the grill, the F150 and has for thirty one years and so far in 2008 as well, and at a rate that has been at nearly twice that of the best selling car. But in total, GM sells more trucks but with two names on the grill. If GM vehicles were as bad as the import buyer why post in domestic NGs would have one believe, why is GM still the number one selling manufacturer in the US? Obviously more buyers still prefer GM products than their preferred brand, period

There are a lot of reasons GM is going bankrupt, but "making products no one wants to buy" is at the VERY BOTTOM OF THE LIST.

Like I said earlier, please throw the script away and come up with something new when bashing GM.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The quality issue does work against GM.

Even I was relatively cautious about buying a Saturn back in '05. In fact, I only bought it because it has a Honda (3.5L v6) engine that I know is reliable in the Pilot/Odessy/MDX combination.

Oddly enough, I had just the opposite concerns when buying a truck in '06. I had looked at Toyota trucks but eventually discounted them because I wasn't sure about the reliability compared to the GM and/or Ford trucks. I knew the engines and transmissions (and where the weak points may be) in Ford and GM and didn't know much about the Toyota V8. In fact, I was leery of it.

Reply to
PerfectReign

manufacturer.

McDonald's makes the best hamburgers because they sell more of them than any other restaurant.

Reply to
SMS

Restated, GM and McDonald's make the most POPULAR cars and hamburgers, respectively. As you know, what is most POPULAR is not necessarily the best. Witness the recent U.S. election results for further proof.

Reply to
Sharx35

How do you account for the fact Berger King is usually right near McDonalds? But if you believe, "What is most POPULAR is not necessarily the best," then you must believe that explains why the Camry is the number one selling car but not necessarily the best, right?

Reply to
Mike Hunter

other manufacturer.

McDonalds makes the same quality all over the world (except in the UK because the brits can not make food and ruin quality) but it is definitely not the best quality

GM can not do either.

Reply to
Gosi

Apparently that is what the folks that buy them from McDonalds must think or they would go next door to Berger King. Just as Camry buyers do not go buy an Accord or an Altima next door.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mcdonald's are just the cheapest. I don't mind them for that reason. They are adequate. I love my Camry....but if I had my druthers I'd go Lexus!!!

Reply to
Sharx35

The same can be said for the number one selling car, the Camry LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

No argument from me there.

McDonald's hamburgers are popular because they are inexpensive and served fast.

Toyota Camry's are popular because they are inexpensive, very reliable, and last a long time. That doesn't make them "the best." Accords have better crash test results and are about as reliable.

You seem to be confusing volume with quality when you claim GM is the best because they sell more vehicles than Toyota (actually Toyota sells more vehicles, but that's just another error of yours).

Reply to
SMS

You mean to say if you could afford it you would go to a stake house and drive a Lexus? ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Well, I would drive a Lexus TO a steak house. Yes.

Reply to
Sharx35

I guess Fords used to be better than Toyotas but they aren't anymore. Right, Mike?

And I guess that the best car in the world must be a Toyota since they are the world sales leader. Right, Mike?

One other thing, Mike. Does your logic still work when some companies are selling cars at a loss? I am sure that Toyota could outsell GM tomorrow if they were willing to lose $2000 per car or whatever GM is losing. Why doesn't GM just raise the price on their cars by a few thousand and make a profit? Then we won't have to bail them out.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I agree.

I mean, look at In n' Out hamburgers. Way better than Micky D's.

Also, we all know that a Lambo is better than a corvette. Just depends on how much you want to pay.

Tell me about it. I can't believe people voted in Ex-Governor Bush twice. His dad is a great man, but this moron should never have stepped foot in the White House.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Big difference between GM and McDonalds: McD's turns a profit.

Reply to
me

Really?

I go to McDonalds becasue they are the closest and usually have tolerable service. I don't see a lot of cost difference between McDonalds and Burger King. I actually prefer Burger King, except there are not as many close to me. If I am going to go "cheap," I don't feel like riding an extra mile to get something from Burger King. There is not enough differencce in the hamburger experience provided by Burger King vs McDonalds to justify and extra mile of travel.

Which Lexus? If you say an ES350, well, I'll think you are nuts.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Well, there ARE some good Lexuses. UP here in Canada, Burger King is significantly MORE expensive than McD's.

Reply to
Sharx35

Maybe you worry too much.

Reply to
Tim

Well, it makes me wonder. I just saw a new Seqoia on the way to work this morning. It looked - similar to the new suburbans - like a bloated minivan.

Also, it had a label on the back saying it had a 5.7L engine.

Fuck, that's a 40-year-old GM engine!

Reply to
PerfectReign