Sentra A/C won't run!

I have an 89 Sentra I've been tinkering with for a few months to use as a work car and for most of my running around. The Air Conditioning doesn't work and I've at least found out the compressor is not engaging when the dash button is pushed! The Aux. fan runs, as does the blower, etc. - but no compressor. Even if it were low on R-12 refrig. wouldn't it still run when engaged? What could be causing this other than the fuse - which is good.

- Ben

1989 Sentra 3-door coupe 5-speed, 87k miles. "34 MPG - AVG! Who's laughing now?!"
Reply to
Ben

I've got a similiar problem on my 1993 Sentra. Tried to wire it to a toggle but that would result in blown fuses, so that was no good. When you find out, let me know.

Reply to
kid sampson

Even if it were low on R-12 refrig. wouldn't

N> I have an 89 Sentra I've been tinkering with for a few months to use as

Reply to
raluxs

"Ben" quipped:

the compressor will NOT engage if coolant level is too low. Get your refrigerant level checked. I suspect it's way low.

Reply to
amstaffs

Ben, I used the weekend to take a good look underneath my hood. I tried to remove the AC relay only to find it had melted into the connector. Looking on the underside of the wiring harness, I saw that the wires had burned through. Needless to say, that was the problem. Thought I'd let you know since you had asked if I ever found out why mine wasn't working. Good luck.

Reply to
kid sampson

*** ALAS *** The refrigerant was low, my mechanic re-charged it and it was great... for about a day, hasn't run since! The compressor engages, just no more cold air - have tried to use a re-charge bottle on it with no luck. Just haven't been able to get back to the garage for a leak check. Soon it will be too cool for AC anyway... just my luck.

- Ben

Reply to
Ben