Service Engine Soon gauge

Any help is greatly appreciated. Last year I took my 2000 Altima GXE into the dealer for oil change and to check engine light on. To be as brief as I can, they first said it was because it needed a thermostat. 3 days later, light on again This time it needs a fuel sensor, I believe it was. Days later, light back on. Third time in, they kept the car all day to rev and heat up the engine, maybe there are air pockets that need forced out. End of day, dash light is off. Within a week, the service engine light reappears, and I chalk it up to a faulty gauge. Somehow it passed Pa. state emmisions. But I decided not to patronize Nissan sercice centers again.

Earlier this year I go to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. Guy says the service engine light is on but he can find no reason why. So he does something to make it disappear, and it stays off a couple weeks, then back on. Oh well, no big deal.

Until today. It failed the emission test and still cost me $50. The guy (at Monro) says to take it back to the dealer. So now I have to pay the dealer the inspection and emmision fees once again, and who knows what else they find to charge me. Everything else about the car passed state inspection at Monro.

My question is, what did the Jiffy Lube guy do to make the light go away, and can I do it myself? If I take it back to Monro w/in 30 days I don't get charged the fees again. Or any other suggestions to ease the $ pain?

Thanks for the help.

john

"The more advertising I see, the less I want to buy" _Switters_

Reply to
Johnny Davis

You may figure out how to shut off the light, but that won't fix your emissions problem. My guess is a bad oxygen sensor, and that's probably what was wrong in the first place.

Reply to
ppointer