Spark Plug Install Help!

Hi guys-

I will be changing spark plugs for the first time, I have read up on it. One remaining question I still have is when I coat the ceramic part of the plug w/ the dielectric grease, do I coat the nipple which in on top of the ceramic (white) part of the plug as well?

Thanks

Reply to
elmo

you don't need to coat anything with dielectric grease.

Reply to
NissTech

never heard of using dieelectric grease. how about using some anti-seize paste on the threads. i know putting stuff on the wrong place will cause radio interference.

Reply to
robertmaasjr

I put a few drops of oil from the dipstick on the threads.

Reply to
Dino

uh.. if you put motor oil on the threads.. you can tighten it really well... however the oil can turn to a gummy substance resembling dried varnish (due to the heat) on the threads. As a result, you can strip the aluminum threads (from the head) when you go to remove it...

You should coat the threads lightly with a graphite grease or anti-seize compound when installing into aluminum heads - be sure none gets on the tip of the spark plug.

As for the dielectric grease - it's actually used on electrical connectors to help prevent corrosion and increases electrical continuity. Very good for battery posts and trailer hitch electrical connectors - very bad for the ceramic part (or any part) of a spark plug. You really do not want a spark plug to accidentally discharge through the ceramic... it can cause the ceramic portion of the spark plug to detonate and fall into the combustion chamber.. guaranteed to make a mess of your engine...

good luck!

Reply to
Gordon