squeaking rear wheel

Hi All, I'm heaving problems with rear right wheel on my Maxima 2k2. If I jack it up the wheel does not spin freely as others do and when i drive it slowly i hear noise. If i drive it faster it produces squeaking sounds. I checked brake pads they're fine, i mean they're not worn out. I think it's a caliper which is pressing brake pads to the disk. Question, is there a way to fix caliper or i just need to replace it? I heard about sticky caliper problems, what's the solution to it? Thanks D.

Reply to
Djavdet

It sounds like the caliper is sticking - as you suggest. It could either be a seized caliper piston, a binding parking brake cable, or both.

If the caliper is seized, you have to replace it. Double check the parking brake mechanism first to make sure that it is not the problem.

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 133k
Reply to
njmodi

The nastiest possibility (by FSM) is ABS return line blockade, caliper piston doesnt 'release'. Multiple issues which may cause this, I quess this is very unprobable in 4yr ol car.

Reply to
Wiikinki

Hi Wiikinki, Thanks for the reply. I am curious, can you elaborate on this ABS blockade a little more? or perhaps link to some info ? I replaced caliper on that wheel, since the piston did not go back when i tried to change pads. So i gues caliper was bad, however i stll hear squecking noise when i drive. This time though both wheels are spining ok , no jams. I wonder if it stops squeaking after some time. D.

Reply to
Djavdet

... on this ABS blockade a little more? or perhaps link to some info ? .... The

3gen (89-94) FSM mentions this issue as one cause, not my invention... if I remember right, FSM says about swollen/misplaced seals. Could be in piping joints or inside ABS assy... I guess (?) its extremely rare. Info? Click seek the top left 'Favorite Links' on the link below...

Note: The REAR caliper piston goes in only by rotatin & pushin. (first time mystery to me... almost ruined the caliper). Its because of the auto/adj 'jackscrew' inside. This info also found as explained.

All caliper guide rails jam very easily, needs lube dependin on usage, max once in 2yrs. This is because in granpa drivin style, rear brakes barely never angage... Also caliper piston under dust shield has to be lubed but use ONLY SPECIAL brake -grease. See whata improvement lube makes, clic on the link. I had similar problems of rear calipers jamming intermittently, now all problems gone after lube & original pad changed to whatever other than original type. I was about to blow apart all piping & ABS unit, luckily I did not. However, I am not satified b/c I cannot pinpoint what the exact cause/remedy was...

ABS is about electronics. I cannot figure out how this would be related, but groundings & connector cleanup did make a huge difference in how smoothly ABS now works. Wont hurt any car, even though your maxima is so new that it 'shouldnt' need this: See pages 10,14 etc... However, I have seen badly oxidized connectors in 6mth old computers, so anythin can happen.

One brake fluid 'jam' place may be the rear load regulator LSV -valve, see below the 3gen valve And ABS ctrl pic (it has 2pcs adjustable regs as it has free suspension, no stiff axle). The ABS principal hasnt changed, but seek for your model info...

Click on

Wiikinki