Stolen (recovered) truck acting reeeeal weird...

The vehicle is a '94 4-cyl automatic. It was liberated from the driveway on Saturday night and found earlier this evening about 5 blocks from home. Cosmetically, it survived pretty much unscathed. But beyond that... I have some questions... first, how the hell they could have gotten in and started it. And second, why is it now acting like a demon possessed?

First question... how the hell could they have gotten in and started it?!! The doors were locked, yet there's no signs of any forced entry (ie no damage.) And yes, they were locked. We're a family of obsessive compulsive double-checking. The "club" was on. (Apparently about as effective as a "don't steal me" sign would have been, as they hacked right through the steering wheel.) I've heard a few possible theories, like maybe the key code was stolen from some shady tech at the muffler shop, or maybe someone in the neighbourhood just happened to have a bag full of Nissan keys and a lot of time to kill... but I would like some feedback from you fine folk. I know there's a bundle of real important electrical-looking stuff under the passenger side of the seat, and it definitely does look like the covering has been pulled up. Is it possible to somehow get the vehicle started from under there? Or, from under the hood somehow? Call me naive, stupid... or just curious... but I can't figure out how the hell they did it.

Second question... is it possible to tell what kind of damage these bastards did to the vehicle mechanically? I drove it about ten kilometres tonight (that's, um... about four miles or something...) and all was well. Then, it started to cough and run really rough. Then, the speedometer started flipping down to zero every time I touched the brake or a signal. The headlights and dash lights got really dim. By the time I got back to the driveway, it had only gotten worse. After parking it, it wouldn't start again. It groaned that "alternator-ey" sound but wouldn't even consider starting over. (How's that for technical?) According to the police officer, the truck was reportedly used at a break-in at a school in the neighbourhood, so I guess these punks put it to work to move something. Could they really have toasted something?

Car thieves and mechanics are all welcome to respond. Any possible answers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-e

Reply to
Urnest

Don't you think if they went to that much trouble they would have kept it?

They picked the pock most likely, it's not that tough and a slim jim kit will get in in less than 20 seconds.

They had to unlock the column to drive it.. And they were probably looking for a "system" like a big amp under the seat..

No charging system. No idea from here why it's not working....

Reply to
Steve

If it's keyless entry, I wouldn't doubt it was possible.

About a year ago, I parked next to a GMC Safari. When I locked my 2000 Altima with the keyless about 5 feet away, the GMC's horn sounded. I checked the door of the Safari through the window and it was unlocked. So, I unlocked my car and it locked the GMC's car. I ended up locking my door without the keyless.

Reply to
Martin

I have a handful of Nissan and Toyota keys that on older worn locks will open and start most any vehicle.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Sounds to me like you have a charging problem, which may or may not be related to the theft. Check water level in battery, if low, top up. Charge the battery. Check the alternator belt to see if it's loose.

You got lucky. A while back a friend's little pickup was stolen. It was recovered six months later. It had been sitting in front of someone's house for five months and 29 days, or thereabouts.

Funny and slightly related story: About 1974, my 240 Z was in the shop, and I went to the races at Laguna Seca with a young lady who had a Chevelle, I think. Anyway, while were there, she managed to lock her keys in the car. We screwed around with a coat hanger for about an hour, and then this rather scruffy looking kid wandered by and asked if he could try. FIVE SECONDS later we were in, and he had VANISHED as if beamed up.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet