THE DETROIT TIGERS !!

Send the freaking Yankees packing !!!

GO TIGERS !!!!!!

Reply to
NissTech

And I thought you lived in warmer climates ...

I've been a lifelong Cleveland Indians fan, but I live in Michigan, and it's been fun watching the Tigers this year.

BUT, it's ALWAYS nice to see the *&#%^%$! Yankees sent home early. Especially when they play so poorly! Steinie's gonna be pissed! And those poor, suffering New Yorkers, I guess 4 WS wins out of 6 appearances in the last 11 years will have to be enough for now.

Reply to
Bill G

For elderly/Datsun fans only:

A baseball trivia challenge:

Without looking elsewhere, try to fill-in/correct/amend these line-ups circa 1950s, as I didn't pay as much attention in the 1960s, 1970s,

1980s, 1990s and 21st century so won't be able to discuss the other decades tho that's okayyyyyy if you wanna try 'em

Detriot Tiggers vs Jankees At Briggs Field

Tiggers

Al Kaline, outfield Fred Hutchison, manager (or who?) Harvey Haddix, 3rd base

Jankees

Mel Allen, announcer (perhaps not in 1950s) Casey Stengel, manager Bobby Cox, infield Phil Rizzuto, short stop Elston Howard, catcher or Yogi Berra, catcher Gil McDougal, outfield or where Mickey Mantle, outfield Roger Maris, outfield or first base Whitey Ford, pitcher

Bill G wrote:

Reply to
Robert Cohen

Right Field, to be more precise.

Starting pitcher, lefty, but he never played for Detroit (National Leaguer, mostly). Threw 12 perfect innings against Milwaukee, only to have Joe Adcock double off the wall in the 13th and lose the game. Considered by many to be the greatest game ever pitched.

Don't know much about the 50's & 60's Tigers, because they mostly sucked until the late 60's.

He managed the entire 1950's decade.

Nope. He did play for the Yankees, but I think it was very briefly, and in the later 60's. He was not a particularly good player.

Only during the early 50's. Don't know who played after that.

Yogi was the primary catcher through the later 50's, then he and Howard split time for a few years, then Howard got most of the playing time for the next 5 or 6 years (Yogi retired sometime in the early 60's)

2B, mostly. Don't remember what happened to him, if he got hurt, or something else, but his career was over pretty early, like age 32 or 33. I remember him because it was his line drive that struck a young Herb Score in the eye. Many people think this ruined Score's promising career, but it was actually an arm injury a few years later that derailed him.

Center Field. His first year, 1951, was Joe Dimaggio's last season. Not a bad transition, going from one of the 3 or 4 greatest CF's ever to another one of the 3 or 4 greatest CF's ever (Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker being the other 2).

Right Field, but only in the 60's. His first year in NY was 1960, and he won the MVP at age 25. It was the next year that he hit 61 homers, again winning the MVP, although many people would agree that Mickey Mantle actually had a better season in1961 than Maris.

Hank Bauer was the other regular outfielder during the 50's, along with Mantle. The third OF'er was not that consistent, although I know Elston Howard played there some before taking over for Yogi behind the plate.

He pitched in the 50's and through the later 60's. A very good pitcher on a bunch of great teams.

None of this is from memory, since I was born in the mid-60's. I'm just a big baseball fan, and it's hard to know much about this era and not know much about the Yankees. And as you can see from my first reply, I don't like the Yankees (the current incarnation anyway), but from the mid-30's through the early 60's, they were one of the most dominant teams in the history of any sport. Only the Celtics of the 60's even come close. From '36 to '64, a span of 29 seasons, they went to 22 World Series, winning 16 of them, with streaks of 4 straight and 5 straight wins. Only one other non-Yankee team has ever won 3 straight ('72-'74 Oakland A's). (OK, I did look up these last stats so I got them right.). Conversely, Detroit is one of only 2 teams to have LOST 3 straight World Series.

Reply to
Bill G

The Cards are coming to avenge the 1968 series, Nisstech. I'm still bearing those childhood scars! Pujols is gonna kick some Tiger tail!

Chris

Reply to
Chris H

I admire Albert's spirit Chris but he's not 100%

It's going to be a great series no matter what.

Reply to
NissTech