Weird Noise? ThrowOut Clutch Bearing?

Ok, I'm guessing my clutch throwout bearing is going out, I have this sorta squeel,vibrating noise that is continual UNTIl I push in the clutch :-( I also need to replace the front brakes as they are starting to grind) I was sorta hoping that was the other noise/aka clutch but don't think so....What am I looking at in cost for the full clutch job? Oh, also as this is a 92 Nissan PU 2 wheel drive with 175k on it, would it be a wise thing to have the timing belt changed when the tranny is pulled? Cost for this????? Thanks! KSF

Reply to
KSF

I have this sound occasionally on my Altima. Had the dealer listen to it and the service mgr figures it's the pilot bushing/bearing. I'm sure some of the other guys can explain it a little more correctly, but IIRC it's this bearing that supports the end of the input shaft into the trans, and it's self-lubricating.

Mine's been noisy for over a year (only with the clutch out, and only near idle revs) and hasn't really gotten any worse. The service mgr claims that they will last for a long time even after they start making noise. I'm not sure what happens if/when the bearing seizes or falls apart, can anyone else fill me in on that?

I've heard of other people living with this chattering squeal sound for years with no ill effects, so I'm hoping it's only ever going to be a minor annoyance.

PS, I've noticed I can get the noise to disappear by pressing and releasing the clutch pedal quickly at idle (with the trans in neutral of course). This keeps me sane when I'm sitting at a long red light :)

Reply to
JM