Clutch noise - disengaged

I have a 98 nissan 4x4 with only 48,000 miles on it. I am not the original owner, and I'm sure it has almost all city miles on it.

When the clutch is pressed about half way down (disengaged) it makes a spinning/rubbing noise. The noise continues as the clutch is disengaged, the noise stops the second the petal is released.

Am I looking at a throw-out bearing here? Roughly what would that cost to repair? Should I do the entire clutch as long as I'm at it?

Thanks for any advise, L

Reply to
Lisa

More likely than not, the bearing.