Will switching from Synthetic to Dyno oil harm my engine?

Any of these may be 'extended' intervals if they exceed the manufacturers recommendation. It follows that if they are within the recommendation then they are not extended interval, only possibly longer intervals than have been traditional within your father's and your lifetime thus far.

Not me. I have a life to lead. A fairly hectic and stressed life with much more to it than oil. My wife is a teacher and she takes no shit!

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Like all other retail sales, unless you buy directly from the producer.

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

In a legalistic vein, oil services performed WITHIN a manufacturers recommendation (which we all know is very broad) are by definition ... not ... extended. But of course, an engine may be operated under conditions where "extended" is wholely inappropriate.

Oh come on Huw! LOL

BTW, I ran across this blurb on the Mobil website:

-> Features & Benefits Modern high output, *low* emission diesel engines generate *higher* levels of soot and run at higher temperatures than older, naturally aspirated engines, which significantly increases the demands on engine lubricants. Current engine designs reduce oil consumption, resulting in less fresh oil makeup to replenish depleted additives. Top piston rings are located higher on the piston bringing the oil film closer to the combustion chamber where higher temperatures increase thermal stress on the lubricant. Higher fuel injector pressure and retarded timing improve exhaust emission control, but also increase engine temperatures and increase soot loads, including those engines operating with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR).

->

Well, the ol Nissan SD22 has an EGR (that I disconnected), is naturally aspirated, and has the injection timing back up at 18 degrees (instead of the 7 degrees BTDC when I got the truck). It's also running current formulation Delo 400 ... not the stuff that was available back in 1982. So with these soot contributors corrected, should not the oil take more miles to get fouled than without these "corrections?" HA! Could have fooled me!

Reply to
Philip

I need to wind down after a hectic and rewarding period of work. I really do feel a bit burnt out and a week or so off my main job will do me good. However, my wife is also off work so will ensure I stay away from the 'puter as much as possible.

Higher temperatures, yes. You and I both know that they actually produce less soot by far, especially compared with indirect injection engines, although they may deposit slightly more in the oil than stage 11 standard engines due to timing issues primarily.

Most of my many engines require very little, if any, oil between service intervals. This has been true back to the 1970's although I have had the occassional engine which needs a quart every thousand miles or so.

Top piston rings are located higher

True

Higher fuel

Also true and combined with significantly improved output per litre displacement as a result.

This engine is a somewhat cleaner example than my Land Rover 67hp 2.5 litre. In fact I know your engine family very well having a 2.5 litre version [TD25] naturally aspirated fitted to a skid steer loader, a Nissan Dodich, and still having one of three 2.7 litre turbo versions of the family working daily [TD27T] in a Nissan Terrano. In fact these have 6000 mile service intervals here using high detergent oil. As you know, I use API CH4 oil which is an SHPD specification heavy duty long drain specification. With this oil I can be confident that even if I drive a few weeks over the recommended interval, the oil can stand it and no harm will be done. In the Land Rover however, 5000 miles is religiously followed due to the soot deposits which tended to overwhelm lesser oils at

5000 miles and threatened to turn it into a thick sludge. It is fairly spectacular to observe the difference between SHPD oil and API CE in this application at 5000 miles. The lesser oils actually start to clump with a thick lumpiness.

I have another heavy duty engine which can break down the viscosity of CE oil well within 200 hours to the consistency of water but which has no problem with SHPD oil. This engine runs so hot that when a piston oil spray nozzle failed last Summer the piston melted into small alloy beads and the cylinder burst and also broke the head. There were no deposits and no noticeable wear of any other components in this engine and all cylinders were stripped just in case. Luckily it has individually replaceable pots and heads.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Oh man, am I jealous. I just loved my Mopars from those days. Bodies rusted away and I dumped the cars - made me very sad.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

Er...no. Not like any other retail sales at all, actually.

If I were dumb/ignorant/brainwashed/gullible enough to buy five quarts of Scamsoil, and didn't happen to be near any of the few parts stores Scamsoil has conned into shelfstocking their products, I'd have to meet up with the "dealer" in a parking lot somewhere, or at his home, or at a booth at the weekend flea market. He'd give me the total for the five quarts of Scamsoil, and then would come The Pitch. "Of course, if you join my LubeClub, I can take fifteen percent off that price. To become a LubeClub member, you just have to buy ten quarts and two oil filters. But the better deal is if I set you up as a dealer...here, take a look...", etc. etc. BS BS BS.

When I buy five quarts of Mobil-1, the cashier rings them up, tells me the total, I pay and leave. That's it. The cashier doesn't pressure me to join any clubs or become a Mobil-1 dealer or any other such crapola.

How do I know? Easy: I used to be ignorant enough to buy Scamsoil. The thing about ignorance, though, is that it's curable. Education is the cure.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Yep!

Mobil sells it to distributers, who sells it to a retail warehouses, who sells it to retailers, who sells it to you. There is a sales pitch at every step. Oh heavens.

I buy my Mobil 1 at the local bulk plant, next to the pipeline. I used to buy my Amsoil at Canadian Tire, a large retailer.

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

"Steve Bigelow" floridly penned in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Crappy Tire still sells Amsoil. Danny knows this, because he lives up here.

When you buy Amsoil there, the cashier rings it up, tells you the total, you pay and leave. That's it. The cashier doesn't pressure you to join any clubs or become an Amsoil dealer or any other such crapola.

Danny-boy may be confusing Amsoil with Amway. They're different, you know.

Reply to
TeGGer®

All Kias AFAIK. My #2 son has had 2 (well, his fiance has) and they both required 3K mile oil changes to maintain the 100K warranty. 33 oil changes, huh?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Well I suppose that is one way to finance a long warranty LOL. Any advances?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

ROFLMAO! Well, I just read what I wrote last night (it was late) and it didn't come out exactly as I had intended!!! ;)

Reply to
HachiRoku

Of course. And I'm not asked to become a part of it simply because I'm an end user. And that, punkin, is the difference.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Now we're getting somewhere. Those are legitimate complaints, as long as you feel they are. But the invitation to Google group posts would get me the wackos.

I am not going to ask about references for the "dubious" / "incorrect" assertions, because I really am not *that* interested. I expect to stick with Mobil 1, because I'm using it now (kind of a random selection) so it doesn't make any real difference to me.

I have also been displeased with Amway (are they related?), since my wife became involved with it for a few months. The hype was annoying, but the product quality for the items I tried was awful - except the detergents were okay. I'm sure not going to count it against you for resenting the proselytizing.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I won't let my kid participate in the school's fund-raising drives, where they ask KIDS to sell door-to-door to raise money. Jeezez. If you're that hard-up, here's $50.

Of course, it's rather ironic the "wealthiest" country in the world can't properly-fund it's schools...

Reply to
dizzy

Actually, VW has specifically recommended "synthetic" for its diesel engines since 1999 in the US, using fixed oil change intervals. Also, the 5W-40 grade recommendation for all recent VW engines in the US is a roundabout way of saying "use synthetic", but lots of owners and dealers use conventional oil (of some other grade).

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Your definition of pyramid is very convienent.

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

SNIP

Wouldn't an oil analysis by an independant lab settle any dispute?

JP

Reply to
JP

SNIP

SNIP

NO!

Reply to
JP

dizzy floridly penned in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Must be part of the modern "safety" paranoia, but when my kid is sent home with school fund-raising junk, it comes with a circular specifically requesting the she NOT go door-to-door selling the stuff, but to cadge from friends, family and relatives instead.

Reply to
TeGGer®

"Michael Pardee" floridly penned in news: snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

I had a really funny (in retrospect) conversation with an Amway representative in an Applebee's restaurant in Columbus, Ohio once. (He didn't get me, by the way.)

Should have known something was amiss when he ordered a virgin strawberry daiquiri...

Reply to
TeGGer®