3rd gen Maxima front end clatter

My wife's 94 GXE has developed a "clatter" when going about 15mph over slightly rough roads. I think it might be a front transverse link (control arm) bushing or a stablizer bar bushing, but I can't tell for sure. The rear rubber bushing in the front transverse links show some tearing and age cracks but I can't jiggle it hard enough to get any play. I think after I hit higher speeds the road noise drowns out this clatter noise, but I'm thinking about replacing all the rubber bushings to tighten up the front end. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of noise in the 3rd gen's?? Has anyone done a complete front end bushing replacement? BTW, my 90 GXE does not make this noise even though it's bushings are 4 years and 50k miles older.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

On 12/19/2004 6:03 PM US(ET), Chris H took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Don't rule out the struts, either.

Reply to
willshak

Reply to
John Smith

the other 2 posts are good things to check Chris, but it is most likely the transverse link bushings.

The it happens alot on higher mileage J30 series Maxima's, especially the right side.

What happens on the right side is , oil from the power steering pump and or a leaking power steering rack drips on to the rubber bushing and causes the rubber to become soft and break.

the bushings are sold separately but they can be a PITA to press out. new lower control arms are about a buck fifty each (150.00).

you also may want to think about replacing the lower ball joints too.

Reply to
NissTech

Ok, NissTech, that will point me in the right direction. I investigate pressing new ones into the link since my neighbor has a big press. If not, it'll be "hello, Courtesy Parts!".

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's

P.S. If these bushings are worn, wouldn't the alignment shops be telling me they can't align the front end??

Reply to
Chris H.

That's a tough one to speculate on Chris.

I really don't know why they would not inform you about any worn or bad front end parts at the time of an alignment.

Maybe they are just wrench turners and not technicians.

Reply to
NissTech