96 Check Engine Light

Hi, my wifes altima battery died completly and she continued to try and start it dead, i replaced the battery and now the check engine light comes on. The car runs fine and light wasnt on previous to the battery problem. Any ideas? Thanx PJ

Reply to
MrPJ

Hi I'd make sure your alternator isn't the problem. Measure the voltage on the battery with the car running -- it should be around 14V or more. Also be sure to check the connection from your alternator to the battery as maybe you, while replacing the battery, caused a contact to loosen.

Hope you get it soon. Remco

Reply to
Remco

Just to clarify my previous post: check to make sure your alternator is working right so you know you can drive the car and restart it. Once you determine that it is, go to pepboys/autozone -- they'll check what code causes the problem. It could just be a fluke that happened once when the battery was low and the code may need to be reset. Regard, Remco

Reply to
Remco

No alternator isnt the problem car ran fine after a jump even with the jumper cables attached, battery wouldnt hold a charge everything seems to be running fine

Reply to
MrPJ