'07 SE vs. SL

Greetings,

The SE is considered Nissan's "flagship", although the SL has a higer MSRP. To me, the only "advantage" the SE has is the 18" wheels. I like the wood grain trim and Bose speakers. Is there another reason I should consider the SE.

Thanks!

Reply to
Sprint Realist

Hello Sprint, It used to be that there were some differences between the two models. Like the availability of a manual transmission in the SE and, I believe, different (sportier) suspension tuning in the SE. At least from the specs I see, that difference appears to be gone since all have the CVT and I see no hype about suspension tuning. I guess that SE has a standard spoiler and, as you mentioned 18" wheels for the only differences except option packages available on both. Good luck, Mike ('96 SE)

Reply to
Mike

Don't think the 18" wheels are much of an advantage unless the suspension is tuned for them.

I have an 04 SE Max and I really like the car it is a great ride (took a

6000 mile roadtrip with it last summer) it handles very well and the engine is super.

However the tires present a number of problems. The low aspect ratio makes the sidewalls fragile and vulnerable, that combined with the cost (your looking at about $260/tire) is where the problem lies. I have had to replace two (Goodyear RSA Eagles) because of side wall damage. I buy them from tire rack but they cost big time.

The other consideration is the turning radius, very large. I don't know if the SLs have a smaller turning radius to go with the 17" tires but it would be nice.

Reply to
Dell

I have the '04 SL. I had the 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo before that, and really got tired of the cost and frequency of tire replacements, for the same reason you complain about the SE. That's one of the big reasons I went with the SL.

Unfortunately, no. I was aware of this issue before buying the car, from reading several reviews, and didn't think it would be much of a problem. It isn't major, but I really am surprised how poor it really is. My wife can maneuver into a parking spot more easily with her Expedition!

Reply to
Don Cohen