1987 Nissan Maxima Window Controll Panel

The previous owner installled a new control panel. The drivers side window control panel does not function properly, and never did after the installation of the new panel. When the window locak switch in not active, all windows work except the drivers window. This includes teh windows from their own panel switch. When the window lock switch is active, none of teh windows will operate, from either the drivers panel or the individual switches. I had the panel looked at by a mechanic. He thinks the panel is defective. It sounds to me like some wires are crossed. Does this sound familar to anyone? Any suggestions?

Reply to
MKW1025

Bad used panel or one for the wrong year model?

Reply to
Steve T

Sounds like my car.

This is how it should operate in this mode.

I had the same symptoms on my '91 SE. The driver's window worked very intermittently. It wouldn't always go down, but fortunately always went up. Eventually, it quit going down no matter what I did. More than likely, it's just a bad contact on the circuit board (not really fixable). So I recently (last week) replaced the control panel from a junker ($25). I knew it wasn't the motor because when it did work, it worked perfectly, and that door had a fairly new regulator unit (different symptoms anyway). Now it's perfect.

It's highly unlikely that a mechanic (or anyone else for that matter) will be able to tell if it's defective just by looking at it. My suggestion is to find one at a junk yard and just replace it. Most yards will let you test it before you actually purchase the part. I'm not sure about the '87, but in the 3rd Gen ('89-'94) you only need a #2 Phillips to get the control panel out. I tested mine in the parking lot, and drove away a happy man (now I can go to a drive-thru with no shame! ;-).

Check with your local dealer about which other years will match your car. It may be that all 2nd Gens will work in yours. But don't buy it from them. It will cost $100+.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

167K Miles
Reply to
Bill G