'99 Intrepid pwr window controls

My '99 Intrepid is giving me problems with my window controls. Sometimes the master control switches work from the drivers door panel, other times it seems like there is no electrical connection. If I apply more than the normal amount of pressure to the switch, sometimes they work. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Reply to
Randy

Yea, replace the switch!! Alot of times that switch goes bad if the window is down and it gets wet from rain or whatever. If you can make it work by playing with the button, its bad, nothing to do with a connection problem.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I will just add that it appears to be a very common problem in the LH cars based on my own '99 doing it and reading a couple of LH-specific forums on a regular basis. One guy over on

always responds to similar inquiries to spray contact cleaner into the switch assy. from above, and more often than not, the OP posts back saying that did the trick. Here's a recent example of just that:
I would be more inclined to try contact cleaner than replace the switch because: (1) It's cheaper, and (2) The chances of a new switch having or soon developing the same problem is fairly high so you likely could spend money to gain little or nothing over the long term.

Bill Putney

tim bur

You're not telling me anything - I own a 'i99 Concorde. I called it a switch assembly. Anybody who has the car knows what i was talking about. I did say try contact cleaner befiore replacing the switch - so you're technically right. I was using shorthand assuming that replacing the switch assy. (OK - the "door module") would replace the switch - which it would.

BTW - Glenn referred to it as a switch too!!! Nanny nanny boo boo! :)

tim bur wrote:

Bill Putney

The shop manual calls it a switch.... WINDOW SWITCH For switch testing, remove the switch from its mounting, refer to Switch Removal

The parts listing shows it as a switch (window lift 5 gang switch 4760191AC)

If I need to discuss this part with a customer, to me its a switch also, ......Therefore its a switch!!

Reply to
maxpower

So - what you're saying is: IT'S A FREAKIN' SWITCH! :)

Bill Putney

Give the man an "A+"

Reply to
maxpower

I tried the contact cleaner but it didn't work. I disassembled the switch and found that the contact points were cluttered with "crap" from making numerous electrical contacts. Filed them all down to a clean smooth surface and the "switch" now works fine.

Reply to
Randy