1993 Nissan Maxima tail light/dash light problem

I read an earlier post that stated the tail lights and dash lights on a

93 maxima are in the same circuit. I just checked the fuses and the lights and the sockets and they all appear to be fine. Tonight my wife was driving the car and the inside dash lights cut out on her. I also noticed when she pulled up the tail lights were not working either. I cant seem to find any fuses that are blown and all the bulbs look fine. Upon further inspection when I pressed the brake pedal the dash lights did come on. Like I said, I checked for shorts but couldnt find any. Any sugggestions?

By the way I did read the earlier posts about this problem so dont tell me to rtfm. Earlier suggestions did not help.

Reply to
Phillipx

Check all the bulbs and sockets in the tail light assemblies. Some of the sockets can short out due to age where the contacts deform and eventually touch together. That happened to my 90 GXE. Give that a try and tell us if it works or not.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
ChrisH.

I checked them but tonight i will take them off the circuit one at a time to see if that fixes the problem. Now for some reason the lights dont work at all even when the brake is depressed. the more troublesome thing is that there are no fuses blown.....

Reply to
Phillipx

You might need to replace the brake light switch. They have a tendency to get pitted and not work. I had replace mine last month.

Reply to
ChrisH.

this is the correct diagnosis.

pay close attention to the condition of the contacts inside the tail light bulb sockets , if the look melted they need to be replaced.

also check for any loose ground connections

Reply to
NissTech