1994 Nissan Maxima, radio display comes and goes - why?

I have a 1994 Maxima with a radio/cassette made my Clarion for the Maximas. Mine was installed in 1996 to replace the original when it went bad.

Six months or so ago, the radio display, green LED type, stopped working, completely. In other words, the display was pure black, whether the radio was turned on or off.

This condition lasted a couple days, then the display returned. That lasted for a couple months, then it went bad for a few more days and returned. Then two months ago while the car was in the shop having electrical work done, a fuse blew and the radio didn't work at all until that fuse was replaced. The display didn't work then, and hasn't worked since. Until tonight, and now it's back as good as ever.

During this time, I have done nothing to try to fix or identify the problem. It's just come and gone on its own. When it first started, it was summer here, with temperatures typically 85 Fahrenheit or hotter and 35 or 40% humidity. Now it's winter, and tonight it's below zero F. The car is in a garage when it's not being driven.

What could be wrong with my radio display?

Reply to
94Maxima
94Maxima: I don't know either...... What could be wrong? There could be lots of wild guesses based on your non-technical description of the symptoms. A real tech with real test equipment and proper tools and documentation would have to have the radio on a test bench to make a half way accurate diagnosis. Unfortunately since this is a "factory" radio you will be hard pressed to find a shop that will work on it. I suggest that you go to your favorite Nissan dealer to see if they can send it in for your or provide a rebuilt unit that will be compatible with your car's plugs and wiring.
Reply to
Sofie

I, too, have a 94 GXE that has the Clarion system and the led display went dead about 2 years ago and has stayed dead ever since. I think there's a resistor that goes bad in these units similar to the clocks going bad. You could probably buy an inexpensive new indash aftermarket unit for the cost to have this problem diagnosed and repaired.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

chances are, its a VFD. and the solder to the filiments are cracked. Just resolder. it will fix it.

description

Reply to
Mike

Mike, can you be a little more detailed for this fix? I wouldn't mind taking a stab at fixing my 94's radio.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

Flaky LED very common on these radios, among myriad other issues. Here's a couple of places to compare for Nissan/Clarion OEM car radio repair:

(Florida)
(Massachusetts) Good luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

That