'00 Max Pinging, no problem codes

FYI, I have had persistent ignition pinging problems with my '00 Maxima for some time, and didn't have any codes recorded in the ECU. I finally took it in, and the mechanic said that for most Nissan engine problems he checks the mass air sensor first. In this case, the sensor was just putting out default values, so the ECU could see that the sensor was bad, but didn't record an error code. Replacing the mass air sensor fixed the problem.

That kind of sucks, because the diagnostic charge is about $40 if there is a code set, but without a code it was $90. Multiplied by how many people are getting hit by this? IMHO Nissan should set up the ECUs to record codes in more situations.

Reply to
Rick

=== Have you tried changing the brand and type of fuel you are using?

Reply to
KybonaWhogonna

FYI Bro,

If there was a problem with the air flow meter the ECM would have detected it.If the AFM was putting out "default" values the vehicle would be in fail safe and would not rev above 2500 rpm

Sounds to me like you didn't read the little sticker on the inside of the fuel door that says premium fuel recommended, it also states that in the owners manual.

also there is a TSB relating to ignition coil problems related to pinging, most times its cheap gas that causes the problem.

Enjoy the new air flow meter..

Reply to
NissTech

Oh my god,,,Nissan Tech,,,!!

You are going to start yet another flame war of the the "i do not care what the manual says - I am using reg gas cause it cost 5 percent less,,,,crowd."

My 2000 pings like crazy on 87, occasionally on 89, and runs like a dream on 91,,,,how strange is that for a car designed/optimized to run on premium.

Reply to
common_ sense

Other causes of pinging include fuel injection problems. Run a couple of good injector cleaners, verify your fuel pressure is where it shoudl be, and make sure the fuel filter has been changed.

I run 89 octane exclusively and I've never had one bit of pinging. If I went to the track or drag strip in my Maxima, sure I'd use 93 but for daily driving it makes no sense for me.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

You need a hearing check,,,,

Hey - if you want a car that sounds like a cheap sowing machine,,thats your business,,it rattles on 89,,,and that rattling noise is not good for the cars engine.

Otherwise - check the manual and the gas cap,,,like many other performance cars, its requires premium to run best,,,premium cost 6 to

7 percent more than regular now (less soon when gas goes to 5 or 6 a gallon,,) - skip the starbucks latte, and buy the right fuel.

and here we go with another flame war - over the obvious,,,

If you do not want to buy premium, then you should not buy this car,,,

Reply to
common_ sense

Hey,,, if I use another comma,,,maybe I'll sound smarter,,,than you,,,troll.

Reply to
David Geesaman

Hmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,???????????????????????????

Comenting on commas - and then calling me a troll,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ROTFL

Reply to
common_ sense

It really does depend. Cars running at sea level or lower need the maximum octane they can handle. Octane need also varies with the drivers driving habits. A Maxima residing at sea level is much more likely to need 91 octane or higher, but one at 4000 feet above sea level may not,or even be able to use it because of the lower atmospheric air pressure.

The guy who drives his maxima with a lead foot at sea level must use 91 octane or better. The guy who drives Maxima at a more sedate pace and lives in Denver Colorado doesn't.

For the original poster, it looks like he's trying to maximize his car's performance, pun fully intended, while minimizing his hit on the wallet at the pump.

My advice to the original poster? You gotta pay to play, bro:)

CD

Reply to
Codifus

your 100 percent correct,,though you will get mindlessly flamed by the "I need to save 10 cents a gallon crowd,," (gas is going to 5 bucks a gallon in a year or two - another ten cents makes a difference,,???)

The Maxima has a high compression ratio engine, like many many of the newest luxury high performance cars do. No amount of 'timing retard" is going to change that fact.

Use lower than 91 octane fuel, and performance, fuel mileage , and long term reliability will suffer.

and like you said - if you dont want to pay, then dont try to play - its printed right on the fuel filler cap.

I can give up one Starbucks Latte a month to put the correct fuel in my $35K car.

(multiple commas in an internet post, BTW moron, mean ,,pause and think,,the thinking part you definitely missed out on,,LOL)

Reply to
common_ sense

This problem had been going on for a year or so. I had tried a lot of different things, like changing type and brand of gas. I was also aware of the TSB on the coils, but in order for that to be applicable an error code should have been set. In any case, the mass air sensor was the problem.

Reply to
Rick