2000 Max GLE fan noise

I have a 2000 GLE with a whirring noise from the blower motor. It is louder than other GLEs I've been in. I notice the volume decreases noticeably when turning hard right at speed. Do I need to replace the blower? How big a job is it to replace the blower? Where can I get a manual to show me how it's done? Thanks for any help. Bruce

Reply to
BruceH1

I too have a 2000 GLE and would characterize the sound coming from the blower motor as being a squeak rather than a whirring noise. I'm assuming that the cause is a bad bushing or bearing because the squeak frequency increases when I speed up the blower. Very annoying to say the least. I have not noticed any change in volume as the result of turning.

I hope that replacing the motor turns out to be an easy operation. So far as a manual is concerned, I have read on this NG that it is only available on CD and costs over $200.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

There is a TSB out regarding the noisy blower. I had my motor replaced under warranty shortly after purchasing the car. Replacing it isn't too hard. You'll need to remove the glove box and lower dash trim. Also, remember you're working around the passenger airbag so be careful and remove the negative battery cable first.

BTW, instructions for removing the blower motor can be found in the Haynes repair manual if you think you'll need it. You can also get access to the actual Maxima Service Manual on-line and download the sections you need for $20/day at

Dan

Reply to
BruceH1

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought about the airbag deploying inadvertantly. Bruce, please let us know how the job went. I think I'll put up with the squeak for a while longer while you forge the trail ahead. Good luck!!!

Is there a reason for disconnecting the negative vs. the positive cable? Just curious . . .

Gerry

Reply to
Feynmanfan

A word of caution on the airbag: Many passive restraints (airbags) have capacitiors (sp?) in the system to store energy to detonate the bag in case of power loss. Once you've disconnected the negative cable allow at least 30 minutes before you start working so a capacitor can bleed off it's stored energy.

The positive cable is still "live" when disconnected and will arc if it contacts a grounding surface. If the positive cable arcs, you get a spark in a good situation, in a bad situation the arc can voltage spike the ECU and cook it.

Reply to
paddington

Reply to
BruceH1

Does anyone know if the blower motor is located in the same place on '93 Maximas as on the 2000 that Bruce worked on?

My blower has ceased to function, and I think it has just seized up. The fuses are still good, so I'd like to pull the blower to inspect it. I thought it was located way at the back behind the centre console, but after searching some other threads on this newsgroup, I suspect it's behind the glovebox.

I don't yet have the Haynes manual, but now that it sounds a bit more accessible I'm tempted to freeze my fingers in the -10C weather again to try and get at it.

Is it a simple job to remove and fix/replace the blower motor on a '93 Maxima?

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain Woolf

Yup, same general location and since you have no passenger airbag, one less thing to worry about!

Reply to
Dan

This is fall into exactly I have (93 GXE and recently 2000 GLE). The blower on both of these car is behind the glovebox, you need to unscrew them and take the glovebox out ( more screws in 93 than on 2000 which has only 6). The fan noise is definitly because there's too much dust inside the motor, on

93, you need to unscrew the motor, use 10 mmm socket, drop the motor out, remove the cap, you don't have to take the bobin out, dumpt the dust out then vacumn it if you can, reasemble it, the noise is gone, but I notice when the fan starts to give noise, it won't be long will die, I replaced mine at 297K with aftermarket for less than half price of original one, it works fine but you won't have silky quiet like the original one. On the 2000, I didnot have a chance to remove the motor, I just unplug the flextube used to diverse some cool air back to the motor, then use vacumn cleaner to suck the dirt out, leave the fan runs at lowest speed, this will also help to quiet down, mine is completely quiet again. In the case of 93,to me it not worth money to let the sucker dealer sucks up your money, just for a blower fan. Hope this will help.
Reply to
Shamrock