2000 Maxima child car seat problem

Anybody have any problems with a rear facing child car seat having a lot of lateral movement? It seems that the seats have too much of an incline and the leather makes it slide around too easily. I have tried

2 different car seats with the same problem? Anybody else?
Reply to
laceykk

I assume you are buckling the seat to the child restraint anchor and using the standard seatbelt to also retain the seat.

If you do this and have the belts tight the seat shouldn't move. If necessary use two of the standard belts plus the seat's own belt connected to the anchor if you can. The anchor should be on the rear parcel shelf in the middle.

My 2001 max (A33) has an anchor fitted under the rear centre brake light housing on the parcel shelf, plus provision for two more anchor bolts in the parcel shelf behind each rear outside seat.

My manual also shows provision for anchor restraints under the rear seat. Looks like you have to remove the seat and fit belts to restrain a child seat.

If the retractors have too much give, allowing the seat to move, you might be able to buy a manually adjusted webbing that clips into the existing clasps.

Under no circumstances should the seat be placed in the front. Best location is in the middle rear position.

Wayne

Reply to
Gigo

Similar experience here with 2000 Maxima SE with cloth seats. I used to install my son's forward facing seat in the middle in the back. There is slope on either side of the middle part of back seat. With the shoulder belt pulling the seat slightly to the right (after being locked, simply beacuse of the shoulder part of belt pulling it upward on right side), car seat tended to to list to the right. If I tightened the seat belt very well, movement was not too bad but anyone sitting behind passenger in the back did not enjoy the ride :) When I switched my son to booster seat, it got really bad. Booster seat would flop all over the place. I was then forced to move my son to behind passenger seat. I would expect the problem to be significantly worse with leather seats.

I remember seeing an article on edmunds.com listing 10 best family friendly sedans. One of the criteria they used for their selection was how well does a child seat fit in the car. They rated Accord as the best car for that because of a flat middle space on the backseat that allows a child seat to be installed securely.

khalid AT gonehiking org

Reply to
See signature for email addres

Thanks, I forgot to mention that it is a rear facing seat which seems to make the problem even worse. I don't think you can use the rear deck lid anchor with a rear facing seat either. I don't see any anchors under the seat. The tighter I make the seat belt, the more it lists to one side and actually ends up tipping over around a curve! I have tried the middle and outboard positions with the same problems.

Reply to
laceykk