2000 Nissan Maxima won't turned over, just clicks

My car refuses to even turn over. It is a 2000 Maxima with 94000 miles. The car was tuned up at 90,000 miles. Ignition coils and spark plugs were replaced at the dealer. I have never missed a service. Before this happened, it turned over very slowly and then started fine. I drove it to Walmart and then it won't even turn over. It just makes a click and then nothing. I turned the key to ignition and unplugged the 40 amp ign fuse in the engine compartment and I can hear a click like a relay being disengaged. I figured the battery died. Luckily, my battery was within the Walmart 2 year replacement period. I got a new battery with 825 cranking amps, checked the fuses, looked at the wires, made sure the headlights worked. Everything looked fine, but still no crank. There was one time that I heard a faint sound like the engine wanted to turn over but it never repeated itself. I am now thinking starter but I have never had a newer electronic car and I need to know if anything else could be the problem. Thanks!

Reply to
hillman.d

Sounds like the starter to me...

Reply to
njmodi

Make sure the cables are toght to the battery posts. This happened to me a while back after I replaced my battery, the + post tends to work loose unless really cranked down.

Reply to
tonykujawa

If the connections are good it's likely starter time.

Reply to
JimV

happened to me to - good advise, and often overlooked.

Reply to
common_ sense

It turned out to be the starter. After I bypassed the solenoid and it still didn't start, I pulled the old starter out and tried to turn the shaft by hand, but it didn't even budge. A trip to the local auto parts store confirmed that the starter was dead.

Reply to
hurricane