2000 SE questions

Just traded in the 90 GXE for an 00 SE. Niiiiiice. The blower motor started to get noisy, then quit. I knocked it a little with my knuckle, it started back up, silent! Anybody else experience similar? Spark plugs: Nissan says 105,000 miles. Really? I have the 17x7 wheels. Is there a 15" Nissan wheel (Altima, etc?) that will fit over the brakes on my 2000? I would like to get a set of wheels and snow tires, I think that 15 inchers would be cheaper, more tires available, and better in the snow (Iowa). Tirerack's 'preferred' snow setup uses an aftermarket 15" wheel. I sure as heck don't want to reignite the premium fuel debate, but I am tempted to use what I have always used, 89 octane 10% ethanol. It has always bugged me that the octane rating the Nissan specified is not the same as what pumps around here are labeled. Is there not a national standard? Our pumps are labeled as (R+M/2 method) for octane rating. Anyone want to explain this? Thanks all!

-mike w

2000 Maxima SE is my 10th Nissan
Reply to
mike w

Yes the 15" rims will clear the calipers... yes on the 105k spark plug interval... and no comment on the premium fuel issue ;)

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Not the 15" from a Nissan Altima;) They're 4 lugnuts. I assume you are talking about the 1993-2001 Altima. You need a 15" from a 1989-1999 Maxima. Or, perhaps some 16" from 97-99 Maxima SEs, and even some 2000 Maximas.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Congrats on your new vehicle.

In reference to the 100k miles plugs: The plugs can last that long, the issue is with the threads getting full of deposits and making it difficult to remove them when the time comes. Some recommend taking them out at shorter intervals just to prevent this from happening.

good luck

mike w wrote:

Reply to
AS

This business with the spark plugs not being removable if you wait the full

105,000 miles comes up periodically, but I have yet to hear of anybody actually having this problem with the OEM plugs in a Nissan. Its always anecdotal references to old Dodges, etc. I am forming an opinion that this is urban legend, at least with regard to newer Nissans.

On the three different Nissans I have changed plugs on at 100,000+ miles, the plugs have all come right out and the threads looked like new.

Has anyone experienced problems removing OEM plugs at 105,000 miles in a Nissan?

Reply to
E Meyer

Ah, some directly related experience. Thank you. Enough stuff has to come off to get to the plugs on the '02 Pathfinder that I have been glad of it being a once every 105,000 miles experience. I think I'll start looking at doing it now (65k miles) anyway. It was so easy on the 95-99 Maximas that there was no reason to wait, not so here.

Off-topic, but the thing I dread about the Pathfinder is that any time I have had to touch any of the electrical connectors on the engine, there has been about three months of random engine codes and re-seatings of connectors and grounds to deal with before it will settle down and run without complaining.

Reply to
E Meyer