2001 SE front break rotors

I've changed the rotors and pads twice, and within 3000 miles they are warped. These are factory parts not aftermarket. I do drive the car hard but lets face it, it's not a toy and should stand up to some hard breaking.

Rich from CT

Reply to
Richard Austin

Are you certain the lugnuts are always torqued exactly to spec? This can cause rotors to warp, and garages in my area are notoriously bad about overtorquing them.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

I had the same sort of problem with my 98 GXE. Believe it or not, it's not the rotors but the brake pads. I got rid of my stock Nisasn pads and put some Raybestos Quiet Stops. I left the stock rotors on and the "warped" feel in the brakes went away with the new pads. They were also about a million times quieter. Raybestos also markets them to be lower dusting but that's a load of crap. They dusted just as much as the stock pads. The thing that perked my ears about them was my braking distance was chopped by an easy 25%! No kidding. They left me wishing I had ABS on old Max.

I did eventually have to replace the rotors because the pads wore the rotors down but the rotors had over 100K when I replaced them. I ran the Quiet Stops for nearly 30K.

The moral of the story:

The rotors do not warp as quickly as mechanics would have you believe. The friction material on the pads make all the difference. I would not believe it either if I didn't see it on my own car.

Good luck!

:-) Mike

Reply to
Mike and Chris

Rich: Do NOT use Nissan rotors again. Same goes for pads. See my reply to Brakes

03 Max of 11/23.

Reply to
Bob G.

Sure it's the rotors? I know on the 300zx's the TC rod (radius rod) bushings wear/blow out (oil filled bushings) and act just like warped rotors..

Reply to
Steve

If you are replacing them with genuine Nissan rotors, that's the problem. Garbage! Get a good aftermarket rotor.

Reply to
Bob G.