'90 max sneak path short?

Hey Nisstech or anyone,

My daughter's car will have a dead/mostly dead battery on rare occasions(every few weeks/months) after sitting overnight or at work. Dead enough to not start, dash lights very dim,etc.

Jump starting will work. Runnung voltage across batt. 14.4 or so. battery measures 12.4 or so but of course has no capacity.

Wonder if this model has a 'common' source for a sneak path to ground?

(Nisstech helped me a few years ago and I sent him some beer!)

please reply to alckytxn /AT/ swbell /DOT/ net

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

i have the same car.

-it could be the cap/rotor with brun-out cables

-bad battery/bad charger

-starter

it died on me serveral times as same as you said here. one fixed one thos those in the period of 2 years. Ran again.

Reply to
nc24

you want to have the alternator checked and have the technician be sure to check the diode pack in the alternator.

The diode pack rectifies the A/C voltage created by the alternator to D/C voltage the car's electrical system can use.

If one of the diodes is bad it in a sense leaks voltage, this can cause a battery to discharge.

You may also want to have the system checked for a parasitic draw, some component in the car may still be on while the key is off.

Reply to
NissTech

Howdy Nisstech!, If the diode trio is bad would I still see 14.4 across the battery running? And could the diode be intermittent? Parsitic draw is what I was trying ask about. Any common areas this occurs? Wire bundles rubbing through or something?

Anyway, the mech. has it right now so we'll seee what he found - if anything.

thanx!

Carl

NissTech wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Mech said battery was bad - no capacity.(measure over 12V for me) Anyway, he said he measure the current and could see no parasitic draw. Charging system tested OK and starting current OK. Kinda good news I guess, but if mystery dead batt happens again I'll probably take the car to a Nissan dealership.

thanx for the help guys!

Carl

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Reply to