94 Max will not shift 2-3

I bought this 94 Maxima knowing the trans was out. Pulled the trans and found the band and 3rd gear clutches burned up. I rebuilt the trans replacing all clutches and band. On the first test drive I discovered why the damage in the first place... the trans is slow to decide to shift from

2nd to 3rd. After the shift finally commences, third takes forever to engage. It seems to downshift fine. I replaced the selonoid pack... shifted better but still no 3rd. I suspect the 2-3 shift valve or maybe this possible problem: The valve body diagram in the service manual wasn't very good. I cound make out the steel ball position on most of the balls, but a couple wasn't very clear (I might have a couple of the balls in the wrong position). Can anyone shed light on my problem and maybe direct me to a better drawing of the valve body showing the correct ball positions?
Reply to
naughtyf9

I've got a check ball diagram if you want it. I used it for my 90 GXE tranny years ago and it worked for me. Some kind soul sent it to me from this newsgroup and I'll do the same for you if you want. Just email me with your address and I'll send you a .jpg of the diagram. It comes from the ATRA manual.

Chris snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Chris H

Problem Fixed!!! I pulled the valve body assembly and adjusted the springs to specified length (stretched them, most were short) and the trans now shifts fine. I know I should have replaced them all, but if the problem returns I probably will do that.

Reply to
naughtyf9

Problem Fixed!!! I pulled the valve body assembly and adjusted the springs to specified length (stretched them, most were short) and the trans now shifts fine. I know I should have replaced them all, but if the problem returns I probably will do that.

Reply to
naughtyf9

Ouch!

Sorry, had to be said.