95 Maxima Hard to start

Typically in the morning or if the car sits for a long time it may take three tries to start the car. It will crank the engine but won't start. I notice it starts the first time in cold weather, 20 - 30 degrees. I've had the car serviced twice but they haven't fixed it. What's the problem???

Reply to
jfratzel

Check the codes. If there are no codes, it could be a sensor that hasn't failed enough to register a code. I think for some sensors it must act faulty two times in a row to register the code. If it's too intermittent it ignores it. Or it could be your starter, but I imagine the shop would have recognized that. Common sensors that cause a no-start are Camshaft Pos Sens and Crankshaft Pos Sens.

Just something I've dealt with recently.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Our daughter's 95 had a cold start problem for about a year. The dealer wanted about $800 to start looking at the problem with no guarantee of fixing it.

I finally looked at it one weekend when she was visiting.

Our problem turned out to be the short (about a foot) wiring harness that goes from the ignition switch to a connector below the dash. Turns out there is an 'early start' signal contact between the 'run' and 'starter' engaged position. This contact had worn & was not sending the computer the signal.

Cost about 30/35 from Autozone & was a genuine Nissan part.

Might (not) be your problem.

Reply to
2cents