95 Maxima - Intemittant non-start with gas smell and occasional dying in traffic

Sorry for the long topic title but that about sums it up. 135K miles and everything else in the car works flawlessly. We have about a one-in-ten chance that the car will simply not start. Just relaced the starter and the battery is strong. It simply won't "fire". Then we get a pretty strong gas smell. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and will almost always start then. Also, the car will sometimes simply die when driving along in traffic. Again, let it sit (hopeufully on the side of the road) and then it will restart and we're on our way.

Not much of an engine person so I am lost. Injectors possibly?

Would really appreciate anyone's input..

Kalvin

Reply to
KalvinEddie

Sounds like a fuel pressure regulator.

Jim

Reply to
James M. Blaschak

Had the same problem found it to be engine coolant temp sensor open circuit causing engine to overfuel (thinking the engine was still cold).One way around the problem is to remove the fuse for the fuel pump and crank engine several times to clear excess fuel. Replace fuse and car should start OK

Reply to
kwang1234