Disppearing brake fluid

On an '89 Maxima. Had it for 1 1/2 years with no problems. Now, have to add some brake fluid every two to three weeks.

What am I facing? I don't see any leaks on the ground?

TIA -

Reply to
BOB MUELLER

Sounds like a leak, could be a corroded brake line, I had the problem on my

92 Max SE.

Check for a realtively small leak along the brake fluid pipes, particularly the one that leads to the rear brakes. Push really hard on the brake pedal with the engine running, chances are you will find a small puddle of break fluid under the car. You may even feel the brake pdeal going down. This may be difficult to find unless you press very hard. Solution replace corroded pipes (IMHO use only OEM brake parts.)

Reply to
Don

Reply to
John Smith

That's my guess as well. Ussually you'll see some oozing or paint missing in a trail from where the master bolts to the booster.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
John Smith

Another possibility, which happened to my '89, was the ABS actuator (on the front passenger inner fender) started to leak, and the fluid would collect down in the recesses of the lower inner fender area. Worse yet ABS did not always work. I cannot recall if the ABS light went on, however. Good luck. Bob

94 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded
Reply to
BeeP

Fluid leaking into the booster is likely.

Also -- and this is what happened to mine -- the ABS pump/actuator leaked. Open the hood and stand facing the car. Look down to your left, mounted behind the headlight, on a shelf above the passenger side front tire is a cubical silver thing with several steel brake lines running in and out of it -- that's the ABS actuator. Look very carefully around it for evidence of brake fluid leak -- the way the actuator is mounted leaking fluid will puddle underneath it. If it's the actuator expect to spend $1,100-plus to replace it.

Reply to
Joe S.