ECM error code 21

I have a maxima 99. My check engine soon light went on, I took it to dealer they said I need to change all ignition coils. the car is running very smooth. I did not trust them and got the plugs changed and reset the ecm. the light came back after 3 weeks and I get error 21 again, which means "ignition signal in the primary circuit is not being entered to the ECU during cranking or tuning". Now I am wondering what to do next, knowing that Maxima had problems with their ignition coils (95-99 models). How can I be sure it is the coils and how to know which one is it? could it be anything else? Thanks

Reply to
Jetform

Yes, you probably have a bad coil. The dealer wants to replace all six coils because there's no code indicating which cylinder is misfiring. If you don't mind doing the work, buy a Bank 2 (front) coil and start swapping them out until you find the bad one. If that doesn't work, buy a Bank 1 (back) coil and do the same thing. Or, just bite the bullet, spend $310 or so, and replace all six. If you check the Maxima.org forums you'll find at least one dealership willing to sell them to you for that price shipped.

Reply to
Dan

Damn dealers, you just can't trust them... even when they are right

Reply to
NissTech

Jetform wrote: snip

getting OT: did this coil problem effect all 4th gen Maximas? it seems more prevalent on the 99's from looking on this NG, just curious has anyone with a 95-98 had to replace them?

--

dave stone