Extended Warranty - Is it worth it ?

I just bought a 2002 Maxima SE / six speed with ~ 38km. I paid ~ $Cdn

24,000.

I do about 30,000 km / year

Thing is I am eligible to buy an extended warranty that would extend the original 60.000 km warranty period to 120,000 km for ~ $Cdn 1500.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to where this is a good deal ? Or are Maximas so well built that they will probably not require anything major up to ~ 120,000 km ?

regards

Reply to
mfefer

Obviously... the extended warranty only has value if you actually experience a claim that they will cover.

I have never felt they are worth their cost... and not just because the cars I've bought are well enough made they just don't fail.

As with gambling, the house always wins... and they are the house! Take that 1500, save it in a decent account to use for the same repairs the insurance would cover and I doubt you'll spend it all by

120,000 KM. If you follow the same practice with every car you buy then you will most definitely be well ahead, with a nice little savings built up for when you retire.

If you do choose to get it... be very careful to follow their recommended maintenance schedule. Just one missed item can void it when you need it. At least, with some plans, they help defray at least a portion of the cost of periodic oil changes and such.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

Given all the little expensive things that go wrong with the 2002 models, I'd buy the plan. Make sure it covers the Stereo and AC and stuff like that, I believe they sometimes call these the High-Tech items.

The Bose stereo has problems, people report problems with coils and injectors and I know replacing the injectors under the intake manifold is expensive. You don't know if the previous owner was nice to the transmission.

The car is an SE and the previous owner probably drove it hard, cause that's what people do with an SE.

I vote to get the extended warranty, if you plan to keep the car for 4 years or more.

Around 3 years of ownership, by your reckoning, you will have 114,000 KM on the car, the car will be 5 years old and needing some expensive maintenance.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

It really depends on the warranty and the company behind it. I've seen too many weasle out of claims with fine print that says they don't cover seals and gaskets (which rules out any leaks or auto transmission problems) or that they don't cover oil consumption or loss of compression in the engine etc.

Reply to
Steve T