Intermittent Blower Fan

My 2000 SE blower fan works only intermittently. Doesn't matter what position the switch is in. Most often, the fan will not work when first driving the car then will suddenly come "on" at some point and will stay "on" until I turn off ignition. During the "on" times, all positions of the switch work normally. There doesn't seem to be any set amount of time before the fan turns on. I have not noticed any pattern. Any ideas on where to start looking?

Reply to
Dave Scobodo

Intermittent problems are typically nasty. Divide the problem in two: install thin wires, bare threads into inside blower motor connector (behind glovebox). Use them for measurement, and connect multimeter. Turn multimeter on as u drive, check the voltage level especially when blower doesnt work.

If voltage is ok, your blower and/or brushes are toast. If no voltage when problem is on, then your sw, resistor and/or ctrl pcb is toast. Get some ideas from here as main components are very similar:

Blower pre-resistor pack (redlined) behind the glove box

Wiikinki

Reply to
chrisnorden

Is the climate control in auto position? I'm sure the owner's handbook says that that this is the usual sequence of events - it should kick in after about 90 seconds, so that the sensor below the windscreen can adjust to the environment.

Hope this helps

Reply to
chrisnorden

I only have analog controls. No climate control. Just a slider for temp and a rotary switch for fan speed.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Scobodo