Re: auto tranny additives

"Bitsbucket" news: snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com :

Any recommendations? > This shop told me that after they do a flush and fill it was standard > practice to use this additive, but of course he was not giving away > trade secrets and would not tell me what it was. He knows me well enough > to know I would just go buy it and do it myself and he was trying to > "sell me" TIA > John

This is how it works:

Make sure you take it to an oil change place that has a sucking machine....what happens is that most cheap places and dealerhips is that they drop the tranny cover, charge you for an uneeded new gasket and that bottom pan magnat thingy, which you don't need and then button it up again, many times it leaks from shoddy installation of gaskets, usually overfill it with oil and send you on your way $150 poorer.

This is horrible.

Because what should be done is to have it sucked out by a specific machine. See, the torque converter has about a quart of fluid in it that won't come out when those bastards just drop the pan. The sucking machine works like a dialysis machine; one tube in and one tube out. They run clear clean fresh flud until the exit fluid also runs bright red and clear. That way you know you've got all the old fluid flushed out.

$79 at most oil change shops.

Next, additives:

Yes, they do work...the reason is that internal rubber parts and gaskets become old and brittle and they need chemical additives to keep them soft and pliable. Old tranny fluid has had most of those chemicals burned or evaporated off. Failure of internal soft parts is the main cause of tranny failures.

HTH

Reply to
Mapanari

BuddyWh news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Most SUVs come with tranny coolers already and if not they can be had if you get the "towing package".

If you need to stick with sedans, ask the dealer for a car with a towing package and or a tranny cooler. They're not real expensive. They're exactly like a little radiator that sits near or in front of the main water radiator with two line going to the transmission to run tranny fluid and keep it cooled.

Reply to
Mapanari