Remote Starter Install 98 SE 5 spd

I am considering installing a remote starter on my 1998 SE with a maual transmision and stock condition.

Can I pull this off in my own garage? Time is not an issue.

I have purchased a Prostart 3 in 1 from Canadian Tire.

oR SHOULD i GET IT DEATLER INSTALLED FOR AN EXTRA $350cdn.

Any advice or opinions nor links appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
VanG

Personally I would not even consider a remote starter. In order for it to work you would have to leave the car in neutral with parking brake engaged. Without pressing the clutch, the starter would also need to churn the stiff transmission fluid (did you ever notice your car lurch forward when you initially let the clutch out in neutral in cold weather). And if your parking brake cable freezes up (or seizes for any other reason) you will be lucky if it releases. Of course you would not want to start it in a closed garage.

The cooling system of that engine is compartmentalized to warm up relatively quickly while driving (which would pollute less than cold idling).

Reply to
David Efflandt

In order to do it you would have to disable the failsafe mechanism on the clutch pedal. If you turn the key to start the car WITHOUT pressing the clutch pedal, absolutely nothing happens. I believe it's a button that actuated from the clutch pedal itself. CD

Reply to
Codifus