service engine light & codes

Have 99 maxima, check engine light came on today. Took to auto-zone, codes read po325- knock sensor, and po303- number 3 cylinder misfire. Where exactly is knock sensor located & is it hard to replace. Price quoted was $176 for sensor. Print out says # 3 cylinder could be wire, plug, vacuum leak, injector. Might have local mechanic check that out, but was wondering if I could replace knock sensor to save a little labor cost. Thanks for any help and info.

Reply to
Dave

Don't worry about the knock sensor code until you get the other problem fixed. It could have been set by the misfire. After everything is fixed and reset, then read the codes again to see if the knock sensor returns (it will not set the engine light if it is the only code). Only then do you want to waste the time & effort to replace it.

The knock sensor is located under the intake manifold approximately dead center on top of the engine. If you have access to somebody with really tiny hands who can reach up in there, then it can be replaced easily. Otherwise, its a real pain.

Bottom line - whatever your problem is, the knock sensor did not cause it.

Reply to
E Meyer

Thanks for info E Meyer. Car quit on me not long ago, wouldn't crank. Mechanic said computer had went bad in his opionion cause everything else checked out. Long story short, it was ignition key. Had key made at local key shop, not nissan orginal. Lost original key afterwards, so was using duplicate. Had to have the orginal key made at nissan dealership, $125 bucks. Just got car back from shop last week, been running great, but every now & then, not often, would skip just a little. Will have plugs, wires, coil, checked. Does it hurt anything to drive car when it only skips occasionally. Will be few days before can check it out good. Thanks

Reply to
Dave

That's one thing I still enjoy with my '96 & '97 - no chip in the key. The $2 copies from Home Depot will actually start them.

Shouldn't hurt anything.

Btw: it doesn't have a coil and wires, it has a separate coil over each plug and there are no conventional spark plug wires. One thing you might try is to switch the coil at the cylinder with the misfire with one of the other ones and see if the misfire code moves with it. That would be a big hint.

Reply to
E Meyer

Ignore the knock sensor code and replace the coil pack for #3 cylinder

Reply to
NissTech