90 Maxima timing

I have set the marking as shown in the chilton repair manual. It engine was running, but the left bank was at 125psi and the right was at 150psi. This made the engine make a lot of back firing noise. I was trying to fix this, but after making the adjustment to the timing the middle piston on the left side is reading 100psi and the other two on the same side are at 150psi. All the pistons on the right side read

175psi now, and I can't get the car started. I have looked at the cam, but I can't tell if one valve was bent.

What should I do now to get the car running? I am stumped.

Reply to
Delbert_90_Max

... 125psi and the right was at 150psi. ... the car running? I am stumped. Compression: See FSM page EM-49. Pressure is tested with good loaded batt, all plugs out, full wide open throttle, cranking:

- Std pressure is 12.9kg/cm2.

- Minimum is 10kg/cm2. (142psi)

- Difference between cylinders 1kg/cm2.

Timing Use timing light; see FSM page EF&EC 30 (clic seek via top left 'Favorite Links' below) Timing mark on pulley 15 degrees plus/minus 2 (Five timing marks, adjust to the middle one).

Reply to
Wiikinki

full wide open throttle, cranking:

the middle one).

Reply to
AS

Hmm yes. Thats more probable... thast also depicted in the FSM. The tightening explanation there [as in chihiltons comic book] is confuzean, Nissan manual writer is out as a snowman on her confuzean blondie (?) writings... Letting spring load tighten the belt results in exact tightness.

If engine is not rotated w/o belt, AND the new belt has (?) correct markings, the belt installation on right marks should be relatively easy. After installation, slowly hand rotate the engine just to make sure its mechanically free to run... One tooth off means bad or no run.

Reply to
Wiikinki

I used the middle timing marks on the crank case pulley and set the right first and then the left cam. This brought the compression on all the other chambers but the one that I was have the problem with to 175. I am assuming that the one chamber has a bent or sticking value. I did try to run it with this setup, but It still won't run. Is there anything that I can do?

Reply to
Delbert_90_Max

...Is there anything that I can do? Yes, you can do all, that ALL depends on your determination:

- If missing tools, buy.

- If missing info, read & educate uself. Check the mentioned links for detailed info. The -94 manual fits all 3gen

89-94.

- If missin determination, pray.

- Biggest treshold is you: I was stupido as I started re-repairing my cars, couldn set the ign... After almost being killed by criminal neglect by a local shop mechanics [so called repair on steering], I decided that I can also ruin my cars - ALL FOR FREE.

- First you spoil, ruin and learn, get adrenaline from that lo$$, then repair what u have spoiled and be proud. Now youre ready for the original problem... After that youre pro:) ...There is NO other way (except payin $tealership).

Now, fixit: If valve timing is ok,

- check for spark on time

- check gas/injection - on time, now engine will run with those 5½cyl. (injectors click as distr is turned while ign ON)

- Compression loss comes from leakin valves and/or broken/stuck piston rings.

- valve lifters may be stuck, may be realeased/changed. Try first checking them out (maybe cam has to be taken out, read the manual)

- piston rings can be changed: all is man made...

- In these older vehicles engine swap becomes very soon cheaper than the parts and seal sets... find 2-500$ low mile VGE engine.

Reply to
Wiikinki