Startup chatter

'95 Max, 80,000 km., oil topped up, startup in morning often starts with about 5 scs. of what sounds like tappet noise from the valve train. Car has always run well. Why?

Reply to
Chuck Pinnegar

Probably starter bendix not disengaging fromt eh flywheel. You can relube it or replace the starter.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

I purchased my 95 in May 94 and it has always done that in winter (sounds kind of like a diesel for a few seconds). I don't think it hurts anything, because I have never had any mechanical problems with my engine driven more than twice as far as yours (just fuel injectors and O2 sensors). Maybe the oil just takes a few seconds to pump up the lifters. As far as I know, I have always used 5W-30 oil.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Same here. 95 Max, bought used in 98 and now has 350,000 km on it. Same noise, mostly in cold weather and I've alwasy attributed it to the oil being a little thick and not getting to the top of the engine right away. I've always used synthetic oil and the "rattle" sound never lasts more than 2 seconds. Just enough to be noticeable but not enough to concern. When I plug the block heater in on those really cold nights, I rarely hear the rattle the next morning.

Todd '95 Black Max '71 240Z

Reply to
Todd Fortin