nosiey on startup rattle

Hi forum

i have a 2000 y plate 406 lx and has a very anoying noise on start up as soon as the car is started theres a rattle there and also when your driving theres also a banging noise sounds like is coming from the front of the car and the rear any help or sugestions would be good thanks.

the gman

Reply to
thegman

You don't say whether your car is petrol or diesel. Mine is a 406 2.0L HDI

110 and developed a rattle most noticeable as the engine slowed down after blipping the throttle. Last weekend when my son-in-law and I were investigating we removed the large flat cover on top of the engine to see more clearly and the noise disappeared. The car is now running sans cover.
Reply to
Keith Willcocks

the banging noise from the front is probly anti roll bar rubbers,mine on my 405 are banging about .i am waiting for warmer weather to come before i get under mine to do the jobs so it hang on till then.the rattle noise is probly the oil not on the cam, when was the oil changed?

Reply to
Chris

The banging noise when you're driving may be anti roll bar drop links, it will be obvious because it will happen when you drive on a rough surface; these are a common fault on the 406. Dead cheap if you buy them from GFS but a pain to remove if they're the originals because you have to insert a Torx bit into the end to hold them whilst you unbolt the nut and frequently the hole rounds out so you have to cut them off; if they've been replaced before you may find that they have 2 flats on the joint side of the attachment point so you can counter-hold them with a (thin) spanner, in this case they can be changed in a few minutes. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

took me 10 mins to do mine on my 405, and i did not have to remove the wheels.

Reply to
Chris

hi chris

i have just had an oil change and the oil level is up to the max level on the stick the cam belt has not been changed since i have had the ca

"Chris" wrote

Reply to
thegman

you still got the noise when start up?it could be oil pump worn out?

Reply to
Chris