Timing Belt - 1997 Maxima

I think that my timing belt just went bad this morning! Does anyone have any information about it? Price to replace (self and thru shop), difficulty, experience, etc. etc.

Reply to
hotwheels_2003

You don't have a belt you have a chain.

Reply to
CardSharking

I realize that...NOW...Do you have any advice or was that it?

Reply to
hotwheels_2003

Why do you think you have a timing chain issue? What are the symptoms?

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

his symptoms would be a broken engine.

Reply to
Marc

This morning it made a sound like something dropped...not a crashing noise, but a "Clunk" noise! I only think its the timing belt/chain because someone said that could be it.

Reply to
hotwheels_2003

Well after reading your post about hearing the noise coming from engine I feel unless you are ready and able meaning you are well adaped to taking and enging apart as this really is the next step.The best thing would be to find a good Nissan engine repair shop to get to the bottom of your problem. It's not going to fix itself.

Reply to
CardSharking

Recall that there are three sets of timing chains -- if that engine is anything like the old DOHC in the 92-94 SE. Single row from crank to idler and then two duplex chains from the idler to the cams on each bank. Major job to change requiring the engine to be pulled.

Reply to
TWW

The timing chain went in my 95 about 2 years ago. Well over 200K miles, and don't think it had ever been replaced. No "dropping" sound though. What I got was a continuous clanking from the (facing the car) left side of the engine. The chain was coming loose and started slapping against the cover. Never did actually BREAK. Has your car been making noise up to this "dropping" sound? For what it's worth, the car still ran... drove it to the repair shop who verified what it was. Now for the bad part, $1,200 later I got my car back... new chain, repaired minor damage to cover from chain slapping it.

Reply to
TeamZebra