"torque member" 17mm bolt frozen and seems to be larger than 17mm

96 maxima gle...in trying to replace my rotors, I seem to have gotten stuck at the point where I have to remove the two torque member bolts (each side).

For some reason my 17mm socket wont even fit on any of these 4 bolts! I will try to pick up another 17mm to check it, but wondered if this could possibly be an 18mm bolt?

They also seem to have been put on to some ungodly torque and refuse to budge (tenderly using adjustable wrenches).

Just wondered if anyone else had similar problems.

Thanks

Lake

Reply to
Lake

I believe they are 18MM. Why is that unusual? It's a common size despite being left out of some socket sets.

Reply to
JimV

The torque member bolts on my 95 are 17mm (it's STILL on jackstands, so I just checked). I didn't change mine out, so I don't know how big a gorilla it takes to get the job done.

Roby

Reply to
Roby

I mentioned the 17mm didn't fit because I have seen 17mm mentioned as the size it is. Anyway, I think its 18mm (which I didn't have), but in messing around with it, I found that a 3/4" fit snug as a bug and so far I have gotten one side off and replaced the rotor and pads. The other side is still tight/frozen...If it goes as the first side did it will probaby take alot of WD-40 (thats all I have) and a nice solid pipe.

Thanks

ps Maybe I was wrong in assuming the 95's and the 96's were the same in this regard..

Reply to
Lake

Reply to
John Smith

Reply to
John Smith

3/4" and 19mm are real close. I've never seen an 18mm bolt used on a nissan or any other japanese car, the americans use that size for some unknown reason. Maybe because this size is never in a set of sockets?
Reply to
Steve T

Well...the rotors and pads are installed and seem to be working fine. That was the first brake work job for me. Thank goodness for

and the info there.

I still don't know what size those bolts are..and there were 2 on each side. I seemed to do fine with the 3/4" socket I had, that and 1.5 days of WD-40 and a nice 15" stretch of galvanized pipe I ended up purchasing for about a buck fifty.

Reply to
Lake

3/4" = 19.05mm

Steve T

The specs on the dealer schematic at the Infiniti parts counter, as I recall, was something like 64 pound ft.

100 just doesn't sound right & I'd recheck that figure.

JM

Reply to
JM

Yup, 100 ft lbs is WAY too high. The correct specs are 53-72 ft lbs for the front brackets, 28-38 for the rear. 64 would be good.

Reply to
Dan