Window washer fluid

99 GLE

Was very puzzled why it never seemed to run out of window washer fluid. Finally looked; it seemed low; what do I know? Where is the level supposed to show?

I added water. Uh, oh! Mistake. Wipers just smear windshield.

Question: Should I have the water drained out (how?) and replace with washer fluid?

Or should I add washer fluid?

IOW, what was there in the first place -- 100% washer fluid, or diluted.

Sigh! Wish I'd come up with some SMART questions

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

If it was less than a half-tank of water I'd just fill up with a summer wash fluid.

Reply to
David Geesaman

How do I find out how full the tank is? When I stupidly poured in water it disappeared into some inner recess. I'd like to "milk" out the water and replace w/washer fluid. How?

TIA

Reply to
aspasia

Just run the washer till its empty.

Reply to
AZF

Honestly, I am not being funny, but how long would that take, while I'm driving around with a smeary windshield? I NEVER had to fill up in the nearly 2 years since I bought the car. Isn't there a way to empty it from below?

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

It can't hold more than a gallon. And you don't need to be driving around. Just do it in your driveway. There is no way to empty it from 'below'; there is no drain plug. And to get it out means more work than it's worth. Just park the car, turn on your CD player, and in about 2-3 minutes you should be empty.

Reply to
AZF

It holds about a gallon. I think it will work when the key is in the accessory position (first click). Try it. If not, turn the key to the second position. No need to start the car. Just hold the washer lever on until it stops squirting. Probably less the a minute to empty it out.

Reply to
E Meyer

Belated thanks to all who offered advice.

When I get the reservoir empty, should I refill it with straight window washer fluid, or dilute with water, and if so, how much.

Should I fill until it shows up at the mouth of the reservoir, or...?

I realize directions will be (might be?) on the jug, but if anybody has countervailing advice, I'd appreciate it.

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

I go to Wal Mart and get the pink fluid by Rain-X. It does a great job plus applies Rain-X to your windshield. Unless you don't like the product, fill it right up to the filler cap.

Been using it in my Maxima for 7 years as well as my pickup and the wifes Toyota. I love it.

Reply to
Chuck In Dallas