206 tipp snapped off key and now central locking has failed

Hi when I brought my 2003 reg 206 the tip of they key was missing but the b uttons on it for central locking worked fine but now the fob has packed up and the key is to short to control door locks it runs ignition but not door s I had to break a window to get in now I can't lock my car at night I've b een told as tip of key is missing that one cant be cut from it anyone have any ideas what I could get and where from cheers

Reply to
stuweb1983

Have you tried replacing the battery in the key fob to make the central locking work?

Reply to
mick

Gut feeling is because the key still works the ignition the broken tip is still in the ignition barrel. Same has happened on my patio door, have to use the broken key on the inside, but the full length key on the outside.

If the new battery idea does not work. You could go to a good locksmith and ask them to fish the broken bit out so you can re-cut new keys. There could be the chance that during fishing out of the broken bit it, it could become stuck in the barrel, then the short key would not work and you could end up having to replace the ignition barrel and door barrels.

Look on ebay at the price of Peugeot 206 ignition barrel then visit your locksmith and ask his advice and price about fishing out the broken bit. You could try yourself with a thin piece of wire bent with a slight hook, depends how confident you are and the risk you are willing to take :-)

Reply to
mick