306 Estate Squeaking

I bought an S-reg 306 1.9TD Meridian estate recently, which is fine, but for one irritating oddity.

When steering left, there is a fairly loud high-pitched squeaking noise, with a bit of vibrato. The noise is not there when steering straight ahead or right.

You might be thinking, as I did, that this is probably a brake pad squeal problem. However, today I came to rest at a roundabout and the noise continued!

I now think the noise is coming from behind the fascia, but it could be from the engine compartment.

Any ideas?

Peter Brumby

Reply to
Peter Brumby

I have this on my 406, it seems to get a lot worse if I press the air recirculation button the the AC. It is probably the bearings in the heater blower motor.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

try taking a look at the power steering (if fitted) fluid may be low /belt may need replacing or tightened or steering rack may have wear in the bushes /if fitted power steering Squeaking comes from to much pressure being put on belt or pully due to lack of fluid or air in the system or wear vibration coming from pump locking up under pressure or pump slip(check for leaks)

Reply to
blackknight