306 turbo diesel don't like starting when hot

Can anyone advise why my 96, 306 xldt starts great from cold, runs great, had new filters,plugs & battery, but when engine is hot, struggles to re-start.

Reply to
sparky28

Check the valve clearances. Chances are that some are too tight, resulting in the valve being held open slightly when hot, thus removing the compression required.

Reply to
Brian

Like Brian says, also check your fuel pump is holding fuel and not letting it back to the tank.

Reply to
Chris

Thanks Chris Yes I guess the pump is not holding pressure as the manual hand pump goes soft, when engine is off. Does this mean I need a new fuel pump ? Thanks again Martin.

Reply to
sparky28

Could be just a leaky line somewhere, but then you would think it would be awkward starting from cold.

Reply to
Phil Cook

Yes try and fit a new pump. from chris Addlestone Surrey

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
ccMikeF