306 Turbo Diesel wont start

My 306 diesel (M Reg) would not start. AA man visited and after disconnecting the fuel feed pipe (to the carbouretter?) noted that fuel was dribling out rather than jetting under high pressure. I kept turning it over and it eventually started on 3 cylynders and then when I connected the pipe, it was fine. Runs OK. However, if left for more than about 5 hours, it will not start again. I got it going this morning by taking the high pressure feed off again and turning the engine over for a long time.

AA man suggested it might be a leak in the low pressure return - is this likely? If so, how can I locate and fix it?

Help

DWH

Reply to
dwh

First off your diesel hasn't got a carburettor, do you mean a fuel feed to the injector? I don't think that is a very wise way of bleeding the system. It is possible that you have a leak in the low pressure side letting air in and thus the fuel is draining back to the tank. Have you tried squeezing the manual priming bulb? Keep squeezing until you feel resistance there will then be fuel in the system and it should start. As for where the leak is, who knows? Check all the connections and you might find it.

Reply to
Phil Cook

Phil:

Many Thanks for the advice. If nothing, I prove how little I know about cars. I knew the diesel did not have a carbouretter, but had no idea what to call it.

I do not use the car daily as I work away from home and the car is parked at work for the week. I needed to get the car going to get to work on Sunday and will try to get it going to get back home on Friday. I just wondered if there was something simple I had missed, although I suppose the AA guy would have told me.

I thought that if the fuel was not being fed into the engine it would be because there was no fuel in the reservoir where the fuel filter is, however, I checked and it was full. So I just did what the AA man had done (removed the fuel feed pipe) and kept turning the engine over until it started. I will not remove the pipe this week and will pump and hopefully it will be easier.

Once home, I will check all the connections I can find and then probably end up at the garage.

Once again. Many Thanks dw

"dwh" wrote

Reply to
dwh