306 XTDT ATE caliper - guide pin removal

I need to replace the front discs on my '94 306 XTDT. The ATE caliper is help in place by two guide pins. Can anyone tell me what size socket I need to remove these as they are surrounded by a dust shroud and I can't see how to get them out!

Any tips for replacing discs?

Thanks

Simon

Reply to
Nasixi

I'm not familiar with this vehicle but this type of shroud should have plastic end caps which prise out and then normally there's an allen key hole in the end of each pin.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Correct. And the allen key size is 7mm.

When repalcing discs make sure the face of the disc carrier is perfectly clean and put a little copaslip on the face where the disc fits around the carrier.

Reply to
Nigel

which is usually 7 mm

Reply to
Mindwipe

Thanks for the help everyone!

Simon

Reply to
Nasixi

Got the right Allan key, but can I shift the buggers? Not a chance! Any advice on removing siezed guide pins? (I presume they untighten normally, i.e. anti-clockwise).

Simon

Reply to
Nasixi

Pull harder. I use a 9" length of 22mm copper central heating pipe over the end of the allen key to increase the leverage but any bit of strong tube will do. Yes they undo a/c. I hope you aren't getting your a/c confused because they point away from you. It has been known.

Reply to
Dave Baker

probably misunderstood but don't you just undo the 2 x 17mm bolts and lift the caliper off the disc to replace the pads.....

Reply to
SimonDS