307 - CAR SICKNESS

Just took a 307XSE for a long test drive, and it made my partner car sick (to the headache level - thankfully nothing more!). There was also too much air pressure in the cabin - we had to leave one window just down. Would this be connected?

Anyone else have these sorts of issues with the 307. Could something have been left out in a pre-delivery check?

Reply to
Ian McLean

There has been documented report on new car smell dut to surface inside a vehicle is a fabric or plastic that is held together in part with adhesives and sealers. the most prevalent being toluene, acetone, xylenes, styrene,

1,2,4-trimethylbenzene, various C5 to C12 alkanes, ethylbenzene, and ethylene glycol butyl ether. Fortunately, high concentrations of these compounds quickly dissipate just a few months after manufacture, but some people are more sensitive to it then other to the sensory effect. Negative sensory effects--headaches; drowsiness; nausea; respiratory distress; and eye, nose, and throat irritation--are likely to occur. Should go away after few weeks, so just keep the car well ventilated.
Reply to
voxDEI

...Not to mention the various cleaning products and fabric "protectants" that they spray on the covers after the car arrives at the garage. Also air-fresheners contain many possible allergens.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Greatrix

I agree with the poster about the chemicals used in the plastics. When I was a kid (many years ago!), I got bad car sickness, but strangely only in some brands of car. One day my Dad was talking to a someone from a car manufacturer who said that they knew about the problem and it was to do with the plasticisers used to control the softness of plastic etc. Apparently, these same volatile chemicals also cause some of the smeary film that forms on the inside of the windscreen. My advice if you do buy the car would be to ventilate it really well especially during the first few weeks, so that the worst of the volatile chemicals are dissipated rather than being redistributed throughout the car. Alternatively - remortgage and buy a car with leather seats and walnut fascia ;-)

- Steve

Reply to
Steve B