405 aerial

1993 - 405 Estate

Roof aerial busted, how easy is it to fit a new one?

Thanks in advance. Gary

Reply to
Gary

If it is like the 95 model version, then it is dead easy. Remove from the roof light pod from the inside and then loosen the aerial nut.

When you refit make sure the waterseal is good. Consider using electrical grade silicone sealant. NOT the type that smells of vinegar as this will corrode the roof and aerial mount leading to leaks in time.

HTH

Reply to
Bob Minchin

How easy would it be to install a roof aerial? Is there a wire there already? I have a rear aerial over the rear wheel arch on my estate and it is always getting knocked about - roof could be better. Thanks.

Bob M> If it is like the 95 model version, then it is dead easy. Remove from the

Reply to
Wichita

Too much like hard work. There wont be a cable there and so you will have to release the headlining to fit one. It is a special cable not ordinary car wire or indeed television aerial cable either. I'd stick with a Mk2 coathanger design (more refined than earlier Mk1 efforts) !!

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I had a 405 GTX Estate with the aerial by rear wheel arch but it was an automatically retracting one (i.e. it disappeared into the wing when the radio was turned off) as yours probably was to begin with.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Don't think so ... it's a Mark 1 405 estate ... and I had a look during previous repairs. I like the coathanger idea though. Cheers.

Reply to
Wichita

"R.N. Robinson" wrote in message news:cr19j4$do9$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...

Not all models had the automatic. Mine was a GR and you had to get out in the rain to pull it up (or listen to tapes).

Reply to
Buccaneer

Easy if you've just snapped the mast. Unscrew the old, screw in the new. £5ish.

-- r