2005 Meriva tailgate lock question

A very silly question about my sister's 2005 Meriva. Are you supposed to be able to open the tailgate with only the key? She called yesterday because a piece of the remote unlock switch fell out of her (only) key. She could open the doors with the key manually, but could not open the boot/tailgate. She's ruined the key with years of pressing it with thumbnail tips, exposing the microswitches inside, and then knocked the top off the unlock one, exposing the contacts. I got a piece of solid copper cable, stripped and bent over at the end, which fits nicely on her key ring :-), and which unlocks when shorted across the contacts. So, panic over for now. But, while trying to find out if the boot can be opened using the key alone, I was unable to turn it in the lock. Is the key worn, or is it not meant to be used in the boot lock? If not, why does it accept it? There is no button on the dashboard, either.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

It seems likely that if there *is* a keyhole, it's there for a reason, namely opening the tailgate!

Most likely just seized up after 12 years of disuse. I can only suggest trying penetrating oil and a lot of key wiggling.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That's what I'm thinking, but I was wondering if it only works if the doors have been successfully opened remotely, or something. I was a bit surprised, but she said the key has never been able to open the tailgate.

I sprayed some in yesterday, but it remained pretty solid. Anyway, she'll be getting a new key very soon. I'll get her to try that. Unless they just copy the old one exactly, in which case, it still might not work :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Just tried it on our deadlocked 2004 Meriva and it seems to open mechanically with the key. You turn it clockwise and hold it turned and then also press the button in.

When opened that way it seems to remain locked when shut again (the button does nothing), unlike when opened fully via the central locking.

Something I have just learned (though playing) is that you can also leave the lock turned to the left (as opposed to horizontal) and that seems to keep the tailgate locked, even if opened with the central locking?

I made my old Sierra Estate tailgate electric only (a switch on the dash) and that worked fine till someone shut the keys in the tailgate with the rest of the car locked. ;-(

I guess the tailgate lock on your sisters car actually matches the key she is using ... eg, the locks / key haven't been changed along the way?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Thanks very much for the practical experimentation :-) I suppose it's possible that the locks aren't all the same - I've got the feeling over the years that the thing is a bit of a dog made up from bits of several cars. It was dead cheap, and she'd travelled a long way to see it, so I guess she'd put herself in a place where she couldn't say no to it. The thing packed in the very day she got it home, and soon developed a water leak past the head into the block. It has never been possible to shut the timing chain up. Maybe 'they all do that, sir'? :-)

The boot lock has the hole horizontal all the time, and can't be moved with the key she has. The key goes in most of the way, but stops with about a third of an inch sticking out.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre
[...]

My guess would be that it's had a rear end shunt, and had a used tailgate fitted, so the key doesn't match.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Good idea. I'll see if I can spot any evidence of that.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre