406 coupe rear windscreen demisting problem

Hi

I think there's something wrong with the heater matrix on my X-reg

2000/01 coupe. When it demists, the top and bottom thirds demist fine, but the middle third remains fogged. I thought it could be that the heating element was broken but it doesn't make any sense that the top and bottom would clear only. I think there's only one element as there's only two terminals.

Anone got any ideas?

Reply to
Coupean

Hi, check for damage on the element around the area that doesn't clear,It will continue to work as the voltage passes from one side of the screen to the other so any damaged elements just don't warm up.if you can find the damage most motor factors stock heater track repair kit which is a conductive liquid which is applied like nail varnish. good hunting!

Reply to
DieselMechanic

Hi,

Yup, I've bought some from a local dealer, costed me around £6, works great. It was to fix my car's rear screen, which had only 3 wires working before... So I saw the difference !

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Heater matrix is inside the dashboard. Warm water from the engine cooling system passes through it, to heat up the air blowing into the cabin.

You're talking about the heater element in the rear screen :)

You have a scratch/break in the element - look at it closely. Repair kits are readily available from motor stores, and are simply conductive paint that you slap on to join the breaks.

Reply to
Nom

OK cool. I'll get myself down to the local Halfords and see if they've got this paint business - probably get charged a tidy sum like.

BTW...something I'm telling people I know at the moment. Don't EVER go to Kwik-Fit!( I know any self-respecting auto lover wouldn't but just in case anyone has just stumbled on this posting). I've had 3 replacement exhausts for my coupe on the last 4 months now, faulty goods from dodgy suppliers I think. Firstly not fitted properly, then always sounds like is blowing. Very kindly got =A330 Kwik-Fit vouchers...don't know what the point is though as never going back.

Nom wrote:

Reply to
Coupean